This blog is mostly about teaching and learning English. I am a teacher educator in Singapore and I write for teachers, parents and anyone else interested in English education particularly at the primary school level.

Sometimes I have the urge to write about stuff from my everyday life and tell stories from my childhood. I often give in to these urges. Nobody has to read everything here. But as Lionel Shriver once wrote,
" Untold stories didn't seem quite to have happened."
Life does happen, so let the stories unfold...



Sunday, December 12, 2010

A Jakarta Jaunt

Last week, I went on a 3-day trip to Jakarta to officiate at the opening of the new Adam Khoo Learning Centre there.





I’ve been in and out of Jakarta before mostly on business so this is my first extended trip there and I was not disappointed. Immediately upon my arrival, I was whisked away to do a 2-hour interview which will be published in Kompas, the largest circulating newspaper in Indonesia. Being interviewed was a strange experience for me because it involved reviewing and recalling many personal aspects of my life, including memories of events that I have almost forgotten. The gentleman who interviewed me was very interested in my literacy work; apparently reading and writing are not taken seriously there.

I also conducted a workshop for teachers and visited some bookshops and an art gallery. The malls in Jakarta are huge and very impressive. Outside, the traffic crawled and horns blared loudly. Inside the malls, it was cool and full of lovely displays of expensive local and imported products. Indeed, Jakarta was full of pleasant surprises. The food was delicious, the service, friendly and the people I met were incredibly hospitable. I don’t think Singaporeans show the same level of hospitality that the Indonesians displayed; indeed, I would say we don’t understand what real hospitality means.

There are loads to shop for and the batik was especially lovely. Unfortunately, this was not a shopping trip for me so I will have to go back again. On the way to the airport, we stopped for a foot, leg, hand and back massage which went on for one and half hours and all for a princely sum of S$5.

I was glad to have made this trip. Although it was a short visit, it gave me some insight into the Indonesian way of life, and I came away with a deeper appreciation of the people and their culture. I know I am very glad to have made some new friends in Jakarta.

No comments:

Post a Comment