This blog is mostly about teaching and learning English. I am a teacher educator in Singapore and I write for teachers, parents and anyone else interested in English education particularly at the primary school level.

Sometimes I have the urge to write about stuff from my everyday life and tell stories from my childhood. I often give in to these urges. Nobody has to read everything here. But as Lionel Shriver once wrote,
" Untold stories didn't seem quite to have happened."
Life does happen, so let the stories unfold...



Friday, July 15, 2011

Narrative feedback

Recently, an American educator told me that she heard from a friend who taught here in a premier junior college that Singaporean teachers don't care to give feedback when they mark. They are only concerned with grammatical mistakes, he said.

I don't know if that's true of the whole system, but in the primary schools and to a large extent the secondary schools, marks are what count for teachers, students and parents. This is sad because a mark does not tell us enough what is good or not so good about a piece of writing. And if teachers say it's easier to give a mark than comments, I would beg to differ. Have we not, at one time or another, been caught in this great dilemma of how many marks to give? 5, 5.5 or 6? And what is the difference between these marks?

It is really time to give more attention to giving quality feedback instead of marks. Watch this video about narrative feedback, which is more than just giving comments, and see if there's a way we can adopt this idea for our marking.

How narrative feedback can crush the ABCs - South Euclid, OH, United States, ASCD EDge Blog post

No comments:

Post a Comment