This blog is mostly about teaching and learning English. I am a teacher educator in Singapore and I write for teachers, parents and anyone else interested in English education particularly at the primary school level.

Sometimes I have the urge to write about stuff from my everyday life and tell stories from my childhood. I often give in to these urges. Nobody has to read everything here. But as Lionel Shriver once wrote,
" Untold stories didn't seem quite to have happened."
Life does happen, so let the stories unfold...



Tuesday, December 6, 2011

More writing and a writing camp

                                                   1. Free Writing Time

                                                     2. In the silent writing room...

                                                         3. The daily prompts


Don’t remind me. I know it’s December and I haven’t been updating this blog since September. It’s true that I’ve been busy but I am always busy and that hasn’t stopped me from writing one more thing. But October was spent in Jakarta (two trips) and November was my personal development time. But in between all these activities, I was busy writing too.

Yes, writing the Teacher’s Guide for the P4 textbook, writing and rewriting various bits of the materials and most of all writing a 16-page, 7000 over word piece on one of our English textbooks.  After that was done, I was truly exhausted from writing. Writing is not difficult for me but writing is always a pain, and I still struggle to put words on paper and to organise thoughts. True, the end product is always satisfying but getting there is another story.

After the many writing exercises, I was planning for the beginning of the Bay Area Writing Project’s (BAWP) Singapore Writing Camp that I was jointly organising with the Adam Khoo Learning Centre for primary and lower secondary children. The camp ended on 2 December but what an experience that was! It left me completely exhausted but also totally invigorated. I am once again charged up for more writing adventures and here I am back at the computer.

In the next few posts, I hope to share some lessons from the camp with you-- lessons that I hope will help you rethink your own writing life as well as your pedagogical practices. In the meanwhile, I am busy setting up my writing group and getting my drafts in order in my writing journal. And in case you are thinking, oh, good for her but I have no time and nothing to write about and I don’t write well. Well, I too have little time and I am just wondering how to fit in my walk, yoga practice, writing and swimming into my working day. But busy woman finds time and every one can write; they just need to find their writing voice.   Read my upcoming posts about our reluctant writers at the camp and perhaps you can find some inspiration.

And in the words of Elmore Leonard, There isn’t any secret. You sit down and you start and that’s it.

No comments:

Post a Comment