This blog is mostly about teaching and learning English. I am a teacher educator in Singapore and I write for teachers, parents and anyone else interested in English education particularly at the primary school level.

Sometimes I have the urge to write about stuff from my everyday life and tell stories from my childhood. I often give in to these urges. Nobody has to read everything here. But as Lionel Shriver once wrote,
" Untold stories didn't seem quite to have happened."
Life does happen, so let the stories unfold...



Wednesday, September 1, 2010

It's Teachers' Day!

Happy Teachers’ Day everyone!
May this day help you remember why you became a teacher.

I don’t usually make fun of teachers, but on this occasion, here’s a bad limerick for all English teachers.

There was, in Singapore, a teacher of English,
Who, sadly, was often full of anguish.
She said, “There’s so much to teach
You know, those eight parts of speech.
Oh, will the teaching ever be finished?”

1 comment:

  1. Yes, Dr Cheah, indeed, the teaching can never finish. And of course, there is always so much for a teacher to do...that is why it is after more than a year that I have the time to truly read and discover the gem of a book you gave to me last Teachers' Day! Just yesterday, I sat down and read "The Forgotten Garden" by Carline Repchuk and was amazed by the depth of the picture book. I could see the imagery, symbolism and the play of words that are used in the book. I intend to use it with my P6 pupils immediately as something interesting to do post-PSLE. We could perhaps start a thread to discuss the book.
    Wendy Chee

    ReplyDelete