This blog is mostly about teaching and learning English. I am a teacher educator in Singapore and I write for teachers, parents and anyone else interested in English education particularly at the primary school level.

Sometimes I have the urge to write about stuff from my everyday life and tell stories from my childhood. I often give in to these urges. Nobody has to read everything here. But as Lionel Shriver once wrote,
" Untold stories didn't seem quite to have happened."
Life does happen, so let the stories unfold...



Saturday, March 19, 2011

Becoming a 'Champion' Teacher


Yup, I am catching up on my reading this week and have decided to share some gems with you.

So what makes a "champion" teacher? In our context, many teachers and parents may say that a champion teacher is one who produces good results in an exam. I can't quarrel with that although I think it is very limiting and does not do justice to the many roles a teacher plays. But here is a new book by Doug Lemov that provides 49 effective teaching techniques that will help kids do well in their studies.

Teach Like a Champion: 49 Techniques that Put Students on the Path to College
By Doug Lemov. Jossey-Bass, 2010, 352 pp.

This link will give you some examples of the "concrete, specific, and actionable" techniques that you can use immediately in class.

Becoming a 'Champion' Teacher

Maybe you're a champion teacher who has some good techniques yourself? Care to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment