This blog is mostly about teaching and learning English. I am a teacher educator in Singapore and I write for teachers, parents and anyone else interested in English education particularly at the primary school level.

Sometimes I have the urge to write about stuff from my everyday life and tell stories from my childhood. I often give in to these urges. Nobody has to read everything here. But as Lionel Shriver once wrote,
" Untold stories didn't seem quite to have happened."
Life does happen, so let the stories unfold...



Friday, September 14, 2012

Why you talk like that?


                                                 Adachi Gardens, Yasugi, Japan.



More than thirty years ago, when I first step foot on Singapore soil and joined the then Institute of Education, my fellow trainee teachers and lecturers gave me hard time because of the way I spoke. They asked about my “accent” and made it clear that they did not approve of it. It was all very bewildering to me then as I had spent my youth and university days in Kuala Lumpur and nobody had said that I had an accent.  

After more than thirty years here, I sometimes still get this same reaction to my spoken English. I was reminded of this again just last week when I was working with a group of children on their writing skills. When I stopped to speak to one of the boys, he responded by speaking in what was obviously a fake American accent, and he kept adding “y’all” to all his statements. At first I thought he was a foreigner but after a few exchanges, it dawned on me that he was mocking me, or more specifically my “accent”.  But this wasn’t the first and only time. In previous encounters, boys(never girls somehow) have asked me in their own inimitable Singlish style, why I speak the way I do.  

Frankly, I wish I knew why. I can only attribute it to my Convent teachers, my Eurasian neighbours and my love, then, for everything Enid Blyton. But then again, people who think I “slang-slang” also don’t know that I speak fluent Cantonese and Malay, the latter with a more than adequate accent to allow me to pass off as an ethnic Malay or Peranakan when I am on the phone.

I personally don’t think an accent makes communication any more effective. And I don’t really think I have any kind of weird accent.  I, in fact, heartily dislike the fake accents that I hear every now and then over the radio and in public gatherings. These “accents” turn me off and I no longer hear the message that the speaker is attempting to communicate to me. So, I don’t advocate teaching our pupils to speak with any kind of accent, other than clear and correct pronunciation.

But what I don’t understand is why, with all our emphasis on English as a school language and an official and working language in Singapore, people here still take pride in speaking less than perfect English. Does doing so make one more Asian? The answer cannot be yes, for despite the way I speak English, I bet that I am more grounded in both Cantonese and Malay cultures than many people I know who only speak Singlish. What I find more unforgivable is when this attitude towards English is passed on to young children so that they prefer to speak like Lee Tock Kong in Police and Thieves instead of like the Prime Minister.

I am prompted to reflect on this issue, not only because of my encounter with the mocking boy, but also because recent reports on changes in the PSLE have led people to once again talk about the importance of oral and speaking skills. I don’t know if people, or children, can learn any language well if they think that learning to speak it properly will rob them of some part of their identity.  Don’t we all want to be able to master whatever we want to learn? Why can’t we be bothered to learn to pronounce words carefully or say them in the right way? Am I truly more Singaporean if I say LaVANder instead of LAvender?

My encounters with primary school children who are affected by my “accent” made me realise too that these same children probably hear very little proper spoken English in their everyday lives.  But then again, I myself did not come from an English speaking family. My first language is Cantonese and I learnt my English in school from my teachers. Remember too that I grew up during a time when I had to pass my second language and more in order to get on to any form of higher education. So many of us come from working class families where English is not spoken and we all learnt English well. Who taught us to speak well and to learn English well?

So I would say that schools need to do more to cultivate an environment for learning English. It seems an ironic statement given that we only have English medium schools here. Teachers too need to do something about their own spoken English. As a bilingual and bicultural person, I am all for using two languages or more to express myself and I often do.  But what I find disturbing is when English teachers constantly choose to express themselves publicly in their native languages instead of English in the school context. Who are we to ask our pupils to speak English when we don’t?

I recall too a discussion on social mobility some time ago, and how Singaporeans fear that it might be harder to move up the social ladder these days.  I understand parents’ concern about a better life for their children. As a teacher, I have worked to help my students to not only achieve academic success but to also acquire the necessary social graces that they will need in their work and social life. I teach them to take care of their personal hygiene (like their skin), their table manners, and yes, their speech, particularly their English. Every child needs a crack at that top university or that top job and academic results alone won’t cut it these days. Who wants a CEO who cannot speak good clear English?

We are a global city and we are lucky to have native speakers as teachers in our educational institutions. It is sad that our students find it hard to learn from a native speaker because they are not used to the teacher’s accent.  My American friend related this account to me of how top students in a top junior college here complained about not being able to comprehend an American teacher from California. It’s true I have not spoken to the teacher directly but I did wonder how thick an accent a Californian would have. Was it really his accent or our students’ unfamiliarity with any other accent other than the likes of Lee Tock Kong’s?

As teachers, we need to help our students understand the need to speak well and to be proud of the fact that they do. As parents, we all make sure that our children get the best and everything that is of good quality. Similarly, make sure that the language they learn, be it English or anything or any other language, is of the best quality too.  Accept nothing less.


No comments:

Post a Comment